Crowborough Common The Official Site
The rich political and human history of Crowborough Common dates back to William the Conquerer with records of such available in the Domesday Book of 1086. In more recent history, the late Victorian era to be specific, golf became increasingly popular as a healthy recreational and social past time and during this period, in 1895, the Golf Club was formed.
Until 1936, public access to the Common was severely restricted. To protect the rights of Commoners and the landowners, members of the public were confined to just the footpaths and bridleways. This changed when the Golf Club, under the 1925 Law of Property Act, chose to allow the public to enjoy the benefit of air and exercise over that part of the Common owned by the Golf Club. Click on any of the sections below to read in more detail about different aspects of the history of the Golf Club and Common.